At The Croft Primary School we have introduced play leaders from year 2, 3 and 4 to ensure that our lunch times are happy and healthy.
After watching a play leader presentation all about what the role involved the children were invited to complete an application form to apply for the job giving their reasons why they would make a good play leader.
The standard of our applications was incredibly high. Here are some examples of what our pupils said:
- I want the playground to be a happy place.
- I don’t want to see lonely children with no one to play with.
- I would be an amazing role model to the younger children.
- I am responsible and will make sure all playground equipment is respected.
- I enjoy setting up games for people to play
Successful applicants receive special training to develop their confidence, leadership skills and self-esteem. In order to reward the children’s achievements the school has developed a Play leaders award scheme. Play leaders can achieve bronze, silver and gold awards which recognise and value their hard work.
We have two play leaders’ teams which work on either Monday and Wednesday or Tuesday and Thursday. We have a special chest of equipment which comes out on a rota basis and the play leaders teach the younger children safe and fun ways to use it in games.